Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mothers Day

Mothers Day was a little different this year because Eric, Jesikah, and Jarem were out of town. They went to Florida to celebrate our nephew Logan's graduation with some of our extended family.

We were all planning to go together but then we found out that Alex couldn't miss anymore school and Tessa and I had to be there for her honor choir concert since I was playing the piano.

So when that didn't work out, we were going to fly and meet them there a couple of days later. At the last minute, we cancelled that trip too because we didn't realize the distance from the airport to the location everyone was staying and we would have had 2 days of travel for 1/2 day of vacation.

Anyway, so it was just the three of us. Typically, Jesikah gets up and makes breakfast in bed for me. Eric sometimes helps too and then the kids all bring me cards or things they made at school and we have a pleasant morning. Then we go to church and after church Eric makes dinner while I relax and I usually get a favorite dessert as well.

With Jesikah and Eric being gone, I honestly didn't even know if Alex and Tessa would remember. Luckily, people from church kept dropping hints to Alex the day before.

So, Mothers day morning arrived and I was awakened at 7:11am by the phone ringing. It was Jesikah wishing me a happy mothers day. I couldn't be upset with her even though it was my first day to sleep in for a long time. I appreciated it and tried to go back to sleep for about an hour and a half but couldn't. Around then Eric called to wish me a happy mothers day and to apologize for Jesikah calling so early. After talking with him for awhile, I hung up the phone and laid there.

My two kids were still fast asleep and it was getting close to 9:30. I was starting to feel a little bad thinking that Alex and Tessa were just not up to handling mothers day alone. :) One thing I knew for sure...if Alex was going to do something, it wouldn't be early. But I figured that breakfast would be the thing they would do if they did something, so I would give them a little more time.

I went and took a long shower and leisurely got dressed. When I opened the bathroom door I could smell food cooking!!! They had come through! I was elated. I continued getting ready until Tessa came up to call me to breakfast.

When I went down, I found that Tessa had cleaned the kitchen while Alex made breakfast. They had tried to give me everything I liked and both had written nice notes for me. It was very sweet and thoughtful.

Alex kept asking me if they did ok and if the food was ok. He had made two small omelets for he and I and had given me the better one. He had left the omelet to warm on the stove while he made the other food and he was worried that it had turned kind of rubbery (which it had), but i was so happy for the gesture that it tasted good anyway. I could tell he felt good about what he had done.

When Eric, Jesikah, and Jarem came back on Monday, they showered me with gifts. Jesikah had a picture she had painted and a card she had made ahead of time. In fact she asked me if I wanted her to tell me where it was so I could have it on Mother's Day, but I said I would rather get it from her! I am so grateful for great children and a wonderful husband.


2 comments:

6L's said...

i'm glad it all worked out! you have very sweet kids. :)

Susan said...

Sounds like you had a great mother's day after all!