Thursday, December 15, 2011

Holiday Music Performances

Within 5 days(Dec 10-15), we attended 3 musical performances for our children: Alex's piano recital, Jesikah's band concert, and Tessa's honor choir Christmas concert.  I do enjoy all the music around the holidays, but it also puts stress on me to learn music since I typically accompany a lot this time of year.  I accompanied all 7 songs for Tessa's Christmas concert which featured 3rd, 4th, 5th, and honor choir.
Alex playing Fantasia at his piano recital
 We were very proud of Alex at his piano recital.  He learned and memorized a five page song that was beyond his level and did a great job.  It's sad, but due to his resistance and lack of responsibility towards piano lessons recently, Eric and I made the decision to take him out of lessons after this recital and give Jesikah the opportunity.  Alex has improved much since taking from Mrs. Robbins and we are happy with the progress he has made.  He will continue working on hymns since he plays in priesthood meeting each week.


Jesikah playing the clarinet during the band concert
The band concert was really great and in several parts where we could hear just the clarinets, they sounded really amazing.
Tessa in the center(slightly left) looking straight at the camera with the Santa hat, smiling

This was only half of the group that performed

Many of the teachers
Mrs. Ford (the school principal) invited all the teachers to come up and be recognized.  Their elementary school has recently been ranked in the top 5% of Tennessee.  It really is a great school with amazing faculty.

Me behind the piano (picture courtesy of Jarem)

Jarem had to sit by a friend of ours since Eric didn't arrive until late due to his work schedule

Jesikah and I behind the piano.  Jesikah helped me turn pages.
All the grades and honor choir sounded great.  I am always my own worst critic and although the piano was fine, there was a couple of things that could have been improved.

2 comments:

6L's said...

that girl by the piano in the last puicture looks like hannah howe! im glad jarem took a picture of you behind the piano, you deserve to be recognized for alyour hard work! you were one busy lady for december!
hard decision about alex. hopefully he will appreciate what he learned. he's a great kid!
that is quite a surprise about the top 5% for tn schools, cool!

Susan said...

I am still sad that my girls quit piano. I really miss hearing them play. I'm glad that Alex will be able to continue playing for church. You are so awesome! I hope they realize how lucky they are to have you !