Thursday, August 25, 2011

Spiral Shrub


In April, you may remember that we planted these two spiral shrubs.  I love them, but they are proving to be very tempermental!  This picture was taken at the end of July and as you can see, the one on the left is completely DEAD!  I thought it may have been possible that I hit it with some Round-Up while spraying, but I really didn't think that I would kill it even if it did get a little mist that blew that way.  I called the nursery to see if they would replace it, and they said that they wouldn't unless they planted it, but that they would give me 30% off a replacement.  Since there is no other place in town that carries these, I went ahead and bought the replacement but even with the discount, it still cost $70, and Eric and I planted it!  

Now, I am not so sure it was Round-Up because the green one in the picture is not so green anymore.  I added more fertilizer and have been watering it daily, but it is not looking very good.  I haven't completely given up on it yet.  I am still holding onto the hope that it might come around, but I am not sure.  It is an Alberta Spruce, and I am wondering if this is just not the climate for these.  It is SO hot, it looks to me like it is getting sunburned.  Anyone know anything that might help?

2 comments:

6L's said...

aww man! i know nothing about plants, but dang, that stinks. :( so sorry, rozanne. it sure is a beautiful shrub, i hope you can nurse it to health!!

Susan said...

What a bummer. Hopefully it comes back!