Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Our Last Full Day in Idaho

My nephew, Eli, playing under the chair

My parents flood irrigate their lawn, so the kids and their cousins all got their swimsuits on to play in the water


Jarem showing me one of their "boats" (aka a leaf that floats)



Eli doing the knee bouncing again.  He can move pretty quick!

Since the last time I visited Idaho (which was about 2 years ago), they have built something like 30 windmills in Burley and even more in other parts of Southern Idaho.  I've always thought windmills would be profitable there because it is always SO windy.  I was excited to see that all that wind was being put to good use.  They looked so beautiful against the horizon and I wanted to get a closer look, so my dad offered to drive us up close and personal.  They are SO big!


See how small the car is next to them

Tessa looked like a little ant next to it


The above windmill was the first one built in Burley.  It was built by a man who wanted to make power for his own house and shop, so he built this windmill and it did provide enough power for his home and shop for many years.  He is the one who also got the others built.  My parents said some people had complained about the noise.  I think people will complain about anything!  To me, the noise was a soft whooshing sound kind of like the ocean.  I thought it was therapeutic! :)

Below, my mom let the kids help her make bread.  Jarem and Tessa were very excited to help.  I love it when they get the opportunity to do things like this with their grandma!


Jarem was so excited to eat the bread that he made, but finally agreed to share with his cousin, Austin.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I also love windmills & think they are beautiful. It's amazing how many they have put up along the I-90 corridor between Ellensburg and Spokane. They are so much bigger than they appear from our car windows. That's cool that you got to be up close and personal. I agree, people complain about anything. I would love to have a windmill provide power for my house. I think they should have them everywhere. I would have liked to have some of that bread, too!