Thursday, September 16, 2010

Coaching Soccer

After taking a year off, it was time.  I signed up Jarem, Tessa, and Alex for fall recreational soccer .  Alex is in the teenager/adult league now, so it should be more low-key.  He wants to get conditioned to try out for spring soccer at his high school.  Jesikah wanted to try tennis this time around.  Tessa just likes soccer.  As for Jarem, this will be his first time doing a sport and he really wanted to try soccer after watching the other kids so much other years.

In the process of getting everyone registered, I spoke with the U6 coordinator and she begged and pleaded for me/us to coach.  She said they were SO short on coaches and it was going to make bigger teams and inconvenience for a lot of people if she wasn't able to find more coaches.  I assured her that I wasn't coaching material.  However, I agreed to ask my husband (who is good at sports) if he would be willing to do it.  After a somewhat heated conversation with Eric, he expressed that he just didn't think he could handle anymore right now.  He's been a little overwhelmed lately with his work responsibilities and his new bishopric calling.  When I let her know that Eric wouldn't be able to do it, she pleaded MORE for me to do it. I told her I didn't know anything about sports and that I had never played soccer before.  She insisted that, "You don't have to know ANYTHING or have any skills...just be willing".  Because I felt sorry for her AND I would like the convenience of picking the day and the time for practice, I at last conceded.  Never did I think I would be coaching sports (not even for 5 year olds)!  Even Alex laughed at me when he found out.

 Last night we had our first practice.  I was nervous, but it went quite well and it wasn't even hard.  I think my years teaching Kindergarten really helped me in this.  Eight kids didn't seem like hardly anything to handle after having 24 in Kindergarten at one time.  Besides, we were learning something outside that they enjoyed with their parents closeby.  I think it will be kind of fun as long as I get the rules down.  When Alex laughed and told me I was crazy, I said, "What's worse: never trying something because you are afraid of failure OR trying something you are uncomfortable with and then maybe gaining a new skill in the process?"  He didn't say much after that.  Regardless, wish me luck!  Our first game is on Saturday and that might be a whole new bag of worms.

12 comments:

Jenn said...

You are one brave woman! The most I ever volunteered for was team mom for Logan's baseball team. Have fun learning all about soccer! ;o)

Susan said...

Yay for being brave and trying something new! I am proud of you! I remember Scott coaching Gabby's team when she was little. He was nervous at first but they ended up having a lot of fun. I don't think he had any soccer experience either. Good luck on your first game! What is your team name?

6L's said...

way to go coach mom! :) hope you win your first game!!!

Carroll Family said...

Wow - I'm impressed!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Good luck! Sounds like fun! And fodder for future posts--don't forget to take pics!

Unknown said...

You will do great! They keep asking me to coach the high school cheerleaders??? Are you kidding--is what I keep thinking. My plate is way tooooo full.

Nikki said...

I think it's great you are trying something new. At Jarem's age all they do is aimlessly run around, some of them lay down on the field, and most of them are just happy to be outside playing with their friends. You will be a perfect coach for that age!!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I need to have your attitude more often. I liked that quoted you gave Alex. Good luck on saturday and to all your kids! :)

Heather said...

You are so brave!!! Good luck!

David & Viola Ricks said...

Believe it or not---scared me coached Joel's team one year. Lynne Williams was supposed to coach with me but didn't come half the time. I learned about the game----it was good. However, we didn't win much!

The Scarths said...

Great fun! I am sure you will do fine, and the kids will have fun. The parents are usually the problem anyway!

snapie said...

That's so cool:)