Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hilton Head Weekend

Last weekend we went to Hilton Head Island in South Carolina.  Some of you were probably wondering where we were when I was posting pictures of the beach and stuff.  I didn't really want to be specific since I know people use blogs and facebook to track when people are out-of-town until we got back home, but that is where we were.

It was a great vacation! It was 4 days and 3 nights, but really 2 days and 3 nights since it took about 9 hours travel each way.  We didn't plan anything, just wanted a break from our busy lives.  That is just what it was.  We went to the beach, swam in the pools, Eric and I even went to the workout room at the resort for the first time ever on vacation.  We mini-golfed and ate out.  It was a nice break from everything.

It's funny how this vacation came about.  Over three years ago (before we moved here), we signed up for the Marriott Rewards Program when Eric was travelling for work.  While we were driving out from Washington to Tennessee, I got a phone call on my cell phone.  It was Marriott wanting to offer me a vacation to one of their resorts (4 day, 3 night) for $129.  I said ok and bought it.  The vacation was supposed to be in Las Vegas just to check out one of the new resorts they just opened for timeshare with no sales presentation required.

Well, time passed, and we never used it.  Late last summer, they called me and asked me if I would still like to use the vacation we paid for.  They said they could get us into a 2-bedroom deluxe room at Hilton Head right on the beach.  We agreed to do it, but, "the catch" was we had to do a 90-minute sales presentation.  Truth be told, the sales presentation wasn't that bad, and we didn't buy into it.  However, they don't do timeshares anymore, and you just get an allotted amount of points you can use anywhere.  You can also exchange them for airfare using Marriott Rewards Points.  Really, I wasn't expecting to be impressed with the package, but, I was.  We may buy into it someday, but not now since Eric is getting out of the military in a few months and doesn't have a job yet.  He does have an offer, however, to stay here, and we are pretty certain we are going to take it.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

We haven't made it there yet, but hear it is beautiful. Let us know if you end up staying in Tennesee and maybe we can meet up again sometime.