Saturday, January 21, 2012

Tessa's 5th Grade Dance

To motivate students to behave in 5th grade, the principal holds 2 parties or "dances" for all students who didn't get sent to the principal's office or kicked off the bus that semester.  They have pizza, soda, goodies, and then music, dancing, and don't forget friends!

The dancing isn't the boy-girl type, it is more like line dances or group dancing.  I asked Tessa if she would like me to come and help with the food, and she said yes.  The first half, I helped with the food, and the second half I went into the dance and watched and interacted with her.  It was fun and she was so happy I was there.  She kept coming over and talking to me or hugging me.  It made me feel grateful I decided to go.  She had a great time and loves dancing and being with her friends.

One thing that was kind of funny was that the boy next door had "asked her" to the dance.  It's funny how 5th graders do that since it isn't even a boy-girl thing.  Anyway, I guess Tessa said yes and then later wasn't sure what that meant.  Then the week before, she told him that she wanted to hang out with her friends and didn't want to feel like she just had to be with him during the dance.  She said she was nice about it, and he seemed fine.  I was glad that she thought it through and thought he might expect her to spend time with him.

I can't believe that she will be old enough to go to middle school next year.

2 comments:

Susan said...

How fun! I miss my kids wanting me to go do things with them at school. It feels like forever ago that they were that nice ;) Tessa is such a sweet girl!

6L's said...

tessa is so sweet and loving. :) that has got to make you feel good that she still wants you around and isn't embarrassed by her mom in the 5th grade. that's awesome!