Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Our Saturday Project

Those of you who know me well, know that I love to garden. Since we've moved into our new house, it has been winter, and I've been itching to get out and get some landscaping done. Well now that spring is here, our schedule has been SO busy that I've struggled to find time. There is SO much that we want to do with the yard and too little time.


Finally last Saturday, Eric and I made a plan and accomplished a small part of our plan (which was really a big job). We created this garden area next to our retaining wall. The plant without any leaves in the bottom corner is a hydrangea (Susan asked if I planted any hydrangeas).


I've been eyeing this spot for awhile envisioning a weeping flowering cherry tree there, and we finally got it done. It turned out just how I thought it would. The dirt is a lot of clay here and can be very difficult to work with. When it is dry, it feels like you're digging in cement and when it is wet, it is a red, sticky, clumpy mess.

Another view


Yesterday, after work, Eric planted these two flowering pear trees on the edge of our yard. They are hard to see next to our neighbor's lush green grass. It was an extremely big challenge to dig in that soil with all the rocks and clay. I couldn't even dig two inches, so I really appreciated him doing that!

Hopefully we'll get a little more done soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks good! What a nice garden! I would love to start a garden- especially since everything grows well here. But there doesn't seem like there is enough room in an apartment :)

Heather said...

A green thumb I do not have so I am truly impressed.

Susan said...

Looks good so far...but what happened to your poor hydrangea's leaves??? Eric is the man....

Tami said...

Hi! Your landscaping projects look great! We have a flowering pear tree too. It is amazing how much work all of those projects are!

I got my girls easter dresses at Children's Place. That is a great idea to use one for a baptism dress! I am sorry that I didn't see your question on my blog sooner because they may be all out of stock now. I just checked on-line and they are out of stock. I happened to be in my children's place here and one of the employees said that they were going to send off all of the left over Easter stuff to the outlet mall tomorrow. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Are those Bradford pears or Cleveland? It looks really good--you should be proud of yourselves.

Linda said...

Great job! I am so glad to know someone who knows all that plant-stuff. I also really liked your easter egg post--I'd never thought of striping the eggs that way either--I'll have to remember that next year. Spencer is SO bummed about you playing piano in Primary--he's threatened to go inactive. I say--how can they do this to ME!? You're my Primary buddy--how will I stay sane? At least I still get to teach Jesikah--she is just an absolute angel--which reminds me--I will probably call you sometime tomorrow to bring her cookie over to you. She was the first one to earn it! :-)

��Radio Mihalis Thalassis - Athens Greece said...

Hello Good 1 May. I salute you, Michael