Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers

A couple of weeks ago, I got a rare opportunity to go see Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers. The Rangers are an incredibly talented bluegrass band, and (who knew) Steve Martin is an accomplished banjo player and songwriter. They performed just about 20 minutes from here at the Fontanel Mansion outdoor theatre. It was not only entertaining with Steve Martin adding his comedy side of things, but it was a night of amazing talent.

I was so fortunate to luck into this ticket. A good friend of mine called me a few days before the concert and asked if I was busy Friday night. I wasn't, so I asked her what was up? She said that she and her husband had bought tickets for this show a ways in advance, but he unexpectedly had to go out of town, and she wondered if I would like to have his ticket and go with her. I had never heard of these guys, but I have always been a fan of Steve Martin and also enjoy bluegrass, so I jumped at the chance.  It didn't disappoint.

Steve Martin had many banjos on stage and he switched instruments between nearly every song.  While he was tuning his instrument, he would do a little comedy.  He is a funny guy.

These guys were not only great on their instruments, but also great singers. They had a barbershop kind of quality and sound. It was very fun to listen to them. What a talented bunch!





About The Steep Canyon Rangers: Brothers in music - Mike Guggino (mandolin), Charles Humphrey III (bass), Woody Platt (guitar), Nicky Sanders (fiddle), and Graham Sharp (banjo) - met and began playing bluegrass during their college days in Chapel Hill, NC. Ten years later, the band has only deepened their commitment to roots music, performing with fierce instrumental prowess but also providing deeply moving songwriting and harmonies, infusing traditional bluegrass with contemporary themes and arrangements



Steve Martin wrote almost all the songs they performed that night from the album "Rare Bird Alert" released in March 2011

The fiddler really had some talent.  He did several solos, and it was amazing how accomplished he was.  Steve Martin said that he met these guys at a party in North Carolina where they provided the entertainment.  He expected just a typical gig, but he was so impressed with them that after the show he asked them to tour with him.  They were excited at the prospect of touring with a celebrity, and it seems it has been a good arrangement for both parties.


We were in the 3rd row from the front.  The seats were amazing.  Unfortunately though, because I only had my phone (my camera charger has been lost since Spring Break in March), the only pictures I was able to get were these "glowing figures".  Regardless though, it was a very fun night.

2 comments:

Susan said...

How fun! I had heard that he is a great banjo player. Some people just have way too many talents while I have none. But that's ok! Bummer about your camera charger!

6L's said...

glad you got to have a fun night! very cool!!