Tuesday, March 24, 2009

It's Called a Redbud!

The purple fields have now mostly faded. I am told the purple weed is called chickweed. However, there's no shortage of purple because now there are trees covered in purple blossoms all over town.

The first time I remember seeing these trees was 2 years ago when Eric and I went to Washington DC. We were at the Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home and plantation). It is situated up on a hill, and as you looked down the hill, you could see all these beautiful purple trees.
A picture we took looking down the hill at the Monticello.

It was such a beautiful place (probably my favorite place that we went). I loved them so much that I asked one of the people there what the trees were called. I had completely forgotten about it until I starting seeing them around town and then I started racking my brain to remember what they were called. This morning as I was driving the girls to school and wondering what they were called, it popped into my head what the lady in Washington DC said, "It's called a redbud." I wasn't sure if I remembered right, so I looked it up online and sure enough, the beautiful purple trees are redbuds. My memory didn't fail me!

Another picture at Monticello
A picture of me by one of the redbuds at the Monticello two years ago...it was SO cold that morning I look a little frozen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahah you do look pretty cold! I am glad you remembered...you sure love the plants out there!

Susan said...

Those trees are so beautiful. You should plant one in your yard! I love flowering trees...they make me look forward to spring every year.