Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wacky Weather and Weird Things

Well, to start off with, we have had the coldest, snowiest weather lately.  Last week, the kids only had school on Monday and even Monday they were released 2 hours early due to snow.  Monday's snow held over to Tuesday, then Wednesday there was another storm that brought in a few inches and got them out of school the rest of the week.  Thursday, the low was -1 and on Friday there was a low temperature of -6.  It was SO cold.  This is the snowiest winter that we have lived here and apparently in a long time.  And, this is also the first time it has ever been below zero while we have lived here.  So, the snow stuck around for a few days since the highs were only in the 20s and low 30s. 

The kids mostly played and had friends, sleepovers, etc. all week.  They had a good time, but by the end of the week, I was ready for them to go back to school.  They were not really interested in playing the snow anymore last week at all, they were playing with friends, eating and making messes.  Don't get me wrong, I like snow days because I don't have to get up so early, but you can't really plan ahead because you never know until the night before or the next morning if school is going to be cancelled.  By Thursday, I was ready to get out of the house, so we went shopping for Valentines.  We found some for Tessa and Jarem, and Jesikah wanted to give them to some friends too.  It was just nice to get out, I felt like I had been couped up for days.

Saturday brought a nice surprise with warm, sunny weather up in the 50's.  It has been warm and sunny ever since with highs in the 60's.  I think it even hit 70 today.  I love the warmer temperatures at least for now...this winter has been too long and too cold.

A couple of weird things this week:

1) I went to the dentist on Monday to get my teeth cleaned.  While the hygienist was cleaning, she asked me how long ago I had braces on.  I told her it had been 20 years since I had braces.  She said that she thought she had found a piece of cement on my tooth from when I had braces.  Sure enough, she used her little tool and got it off.  Amazing!  All this time, I thought it was a ridge on that tooth that was damage CAUSED by the braces.  Now the tooth is perfectly smooth.  What a pleasant surprise!

2) On another note, a few months back, Jesikah had a fundraiser for band.  We bought several things and when I went to pick them up, I got talking to the man who was the representative for the fundraiser.  I was very interested in his experience because he had been in the fundraising business for something like 30 years and had a lot of knowledge.  I have been very involved in the PTO fundraising for the elementary the past couple of years and knew that we were looking for something better so I talked to him for probably an hour and asked lots of questions.  He had a lot of good knowledge and was not looking for business since he was 70 years old and ready to retire. (It isn't often that you can talk to someone with a lot of experience in that area that doesn't want your business). 

Last month, I presented some of the fundraising ideas and information that this gentleman had shared with me at our board meeting while discussing a spring fundraiser.  Everyone was very interested in some of the information he had, so Deon, (PTO president) called him to make an appointment to chat with him.  Well, as it turns out, he told Deon that he isn't taking on any new business but he will agree to do a fundraiser for our school only because he liked ME.  Of course, this became a big joke at our board meeting yesterday.  But there is more, apparently he is also interested in handing over his business to me.  Weird, huh?

3 comments:

Susan said...

I could totally see you talking up that guy and of course he would like you! That is funny. I'm glad your weather has gotten better. We are expecting snow this week. Guess it's our turn :)

6L's said...

so, are you going to take over his business? that is crazy about the cement on your tooth! who did you go to?

Candace said...

That is so funny about your cement from your braces. I can't believe all of the crazy weather you guys have been having. Its been pretty mild this month here, though we did get some snow yesterday. Your kids aren't going to need a summer break at all with all of the snow days they've had!! My kids would be so jealous. We got one snow day this year which was the first since 2008 for our district.